Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The customer - learn its behavior

On my way to work today, it was about 8:30 or so and I was on my way to run an errand downtown. I started the car and heard something on the radio that piqued my interest. It was a radio ad about foreclosed homes. I heard this add before many times and finally, something in me desired to know more about the product. So I dialed the number and sure enough, I had a customer representative answer. I attempted to answer my first question, she proceeded to ask me my information. I am a nice guy to give her all of that, so "she could look what homes are in my area" because I was thinking this could give me more insight. So then she gets to the part about paying $1.99 for shipping and handling of a list of foreclosed homes and enrollment in a website with the same information for a thirty day trial (for those of you who know where Im going, then kudos to you for customer skills management). So I say to her once that before I do this, I must consult with my wife on this matter to see if it's feasible. She goes on to tell me that "what do you have to consult on $1.99 for?" This was the first red flag. I then give her the reason and she says afterwards, "Mr. Simpson, it's only $1.99, I mean that is a very small amount of money" I tell her that I really would like to talk to my wife first and the response to that was, "Mr. Simpson, you can cancel this offer at anytime, but I suggest you try it first, after all it's only $1.99" Finally, I just gave in to the fact that it was only $1.99 and proceeded to give my financial information for the payment. After I got off of the phone, I thought about that whole exchange and called again and demanded my money back, because I just became "another pressured sale" and on top of that, the new rep wanted to sell me 3 more subscriptions. Already irritated, I just simply said in a nice way to stop selling me stuff before you get a response that you may not like.

That story leads me to this point - if someone just wants to ask a question then let them do just that. If they do not want to buy from you than you should not pressure them to, even though you have to make a "so-called" quota. Why? believe it or not, your customer can fire you and perform that action in a number of ways but it can be avoided.

The first way is to ask and answer strategy. This allows the opening for dialogging to manifest. If a customer walks into your store, they have it in their minds that they are thinking (or even attempting) to purchase something from there they want or need. Watch the customer's motions, movements and pathway. If they go towards a certain product, then you ask them about what interests them in that product. For example if they give you a response, "Just looking" then you respond by asking them, "well what are you looking for". In English, you turned the statement from declarative to interrogative that quickly (or a response to a question) if they start conversing with you, then that is when you become subservient to their needs or desires. They know that you are going to get paid and they are going to get what they want. Win-Win situation.

Next thing is to study the customer's words. Learn their structure of words (sentencing) carefully when you listen. If the customer says anything about learning, than become a teacher, where you control the information flow. If that customer sounds vague, then they are looking for leadership. If that customer says that they want to "just look", thats also a cry for leadership. "While you are looking, why don't you take a look at this featured product or service that we offer" Words are powerful and if you take control of the listener, than you will exemplify that knowledge is power.

Customer service management is a crucial part of professional development, so if you do want ways to study your customer, why not visit Scroggins to see the different techniques, methodology and practices we offer to cultivate your customer service management.

LS III

No comments:

Post a Comment